Before leaving Bennington VT, I find Willow Park to check out the nine-hole disc golf course. Nice park, humble course. Hanging signs on wooden posts act as tees. On each sign, the original pictures are ‘X’ed out with a marker, and someone has drawn updated diagrams with arrows depicting the paths from tees to baskets, along with proper distances and pars. Hole #2 reads: “Basket missing, hit tee sign on hole #3”. The grass is long and dewy. Perfect for extremely muddy sandals & feet. I couldn’t find the tee or basket for hole #5, but the rest of the course was fine. Nice way to continue the morning. Vermont has twelve courses. I think I like Vermont.
I leave Bennington for a northern drive to the center of the state. Stop at a gas station for fuel & coffee. There’s a huge counter with at least twelve self-serve carafes of different varieties of coffee, along with a choice of milk or half & half. It’s a tiny little gas station. Yummy, Green Mountain Coffee. I really like Vermont.
I drive the scenic two-lane route 7 lined with farms and trees. The road slows down for quaint towns along the way that bear cute houses, stores, restaurants, and inns. No billboards, no tall neon signs. No ugly stretches of strip malls and traffic lights. Groups of shops are housed in cute barn-like or house-like complexes that blend in with the quaint towns. Driving through this state, even through the towns, proves to be a pleasure. I love Vermont.
I’m cruising at around 65 mph in a 55 mph zone. I see a cop driving towards me, opposite direction & immediately slow down. Lights come on, I think he’s got me. Keeps going. Two or three more times that day, I notice cops who don’t notice my speeding. Vermont is awesome! After a couple hours of driving, I reach the trailhead.
It’s a 2.6-mile hike to the summit of Mount Abraham. The trail is amazing: ridiculously tall trees in a thick, shaded forest. Moss and fern and mushrooms and rocks and greenery like you wouldn’t believe. No bothersome insects. The air was fresh, cool, & easy to breathe. Rocks, mud, & roots to maneuver around. Big, rocky steps. Huge boulders. I’m grateful for being able to put my long body to good use. Dude, this is a hike. The last half-mile was almost grueling. Grueling, yet an extremely enjoyable climb up the steep, rocky path. The views near and at the top were outstanding. Green mountains everywhere. On my way down, two guys with packs were heading up. I called them my “heroes”. The hike down was just as beautiful, and I love noticing things overlooked on the way up. I love how hiking is such a perfect exercise. I love how different muscles are working at different rates depending on whether you’re going uphill or downhill. If I lived in Vermont, I would tear up those trails, I’d learn to do it with a pack, and I’d have the sweetest legs ever. I am in love with the State of Vermont.
After the three hours of hiking, it’s time to head back South. Such a brief visit in a wonderful place, I’d be staying in Albany, NY for the night. …but not before a couple amazing hours of driving. The mountains, the quiet towns, the fresh air, the nature.
I hit the South Street Café in Bennington one more time for a cup of coffee. Sipping outside, there’s a little red-haired girl showing me how well she can jump down the stairs, jump across the sidewalk, and jump straight up, telling me how excited she is that her family is moving back to Bennington. I end up chatting with some guy about how awesome Vermont is. If only I had a higher tolerance for cold. He suggested wool blankets. Time to hit the road again. I stop at a store for some pure maple candy. Soon after, I cross the border and enter New York State. It’s just as beautiful up in these parts, heading toward Albany.
I’m about to see Deborah, my sweetest friend since junior high. I’m happily about to visit her, but my gut reaction as I arrive to Albany is strange. Nearing the city, my eyes see a very tall building, and it brings tears. As the approach continues, it’s a full-fledged cry. I’ve never had this kind of reaction to a city. It wasn’t because I thought it was beautiful. I was crying because Vermont was over for now. What a shumnious twenty-four hours.
Vermont is beautiful... but so are you and Debbie!! Wonderful writing....
ReplyDeleteI do so rather like Vermont.
ReplyDeleteOther good point: it is conterminous with Québec.
xoxoxoxxoxo
ReplyDelete