20 August 2009

Keep walkin'...















As I approached the lake, I heard one of the boys say, “Just keep swimming like we aren’t doing anything”. Ha, this should be good.


“What are you guys doing?” I ask.


“Isaac’s skinny dipping!” Jacob informs me.


Oh yeah?! “That’s AWESOME! Everyone should skinny dip! I do it with my friends whenever possible.” It was cute they thought they should sneak. Little did they know I’d been skinny dipping twice that past week, in a very public outdoor pool, with very adventurous friends, playing the funnest ever game of Marco Polo, very illegally.
Isaac requested, several times, that I “join the party”, but I declined. Inappropriate in this country for me to bare all in the company of two boys, aged 8 & 10. He convinced his older brother, Jacob, to remove his shorts. That didn’t last long, as Jacob thought it “felt weird”. Isaac didn’t ever want to put his shorts on again. He dove in, purposely raising his pale little butt out of the water, into the air. He jumped straight up, flashing the world. Basking in nature, he shouted out: “THE BODY IS A BEAUTIFUL THING! DON’T HIDE IT”... “FREEDOM!”… “JOIN THE PARTY! JOIN THE PARTY!”.

Everything thereafter became ‘skinny’. There were skinny-fish, skinny-games, skinny-races, skinny-splashing… and it honestly warmed my guts to see Isaac experience such joy as they dove down, collecting trash and making seaweed bracelets. This same kid, just an hour earlier, was complaining to no end about having to walk through the woods. Walking through the woods was part of the deal. I’d spent the last two weeks hanging out with these angels so they didn’t have to spend the end of summer in daycare. Part of our daily routine was taking a walk. As long as I was hanging out with them, sunshine & exercise were essentials. Home days, we walked around the neighborhood and usually across the street, where there’s a wooded trail complete with a few run-down exercise stations. Days at the lake, we hit the beautiful Bartram Trail. The first time we hiked, Isaac was all complaints, yet Jacob motivated him. “Think of how great you’ll feel when we finish three miles! It’s such an accomplishment!” By the time we hit the lake, both days, we were all smiles.


Spending those two-plus weeks with the boys was awesome. I never would have predicted the stress that came from hanging out with them all day before having to go into work for the evening. Not that they’re stressful company, by any means. They’re easy, fun, and extremely creative. But I don’t have kids… so I had no idea. Being so responsible, being so there. Sure I’ve babysat & have four nieces & nephews. But to spend 2 & ½ weeks taking care of these guys during the day… was a wake-up call. Feeding times, play times, cleaning up, being productive, getting away from the screens for physical activity. How lucky I was that they're two punk-rock, awesome dudes. High-fives over and over to their mom, my dear friend, Amy. And high-fives all around to any parents out there who manage to maintain the lives of their offspring.


Summer times always tend to blur… but hopefully they’ll remember the walks.

No comments:

Post a Comment