4 years later, 4 years older, at the same ashram in the heart of Incredible India. Then, it was the Teacher-Training Course, now I’m attending the Advanced Course. Some things have changed; teachers & volunteers come and go, buildings have been added to accommodate growth. Some things remain the same, such as the incredible meals (though the food is even more delectable) and the silence that must be kept while enjoying them. Surrounded by green rolling hills, the air here is fresh and calm. There’s a constant chorus of birds during the day, taken over by the buzzing, chirping insects at night.
After a 30-minute ride from Nashik city, we pulled up to the quiet ashram. A man raised the gate to let the vehicle, piled high with bags, enter the grounds. There was never a gate here before, let alone an armed Indian Army guard. I suppose everyone feels safer now. All bags must be inspected. Really? What the hell!? Though a zip-loc bag of baking soda was ignored, each book was carefully fingered. After lunch, I settled into the room I share with a Canadian, Northern Irish, and Egyptian.

No comments:
Post a Comment