08 June 2010

A holy city, a stranger, and a peculiar shower

THE SUN LOWERS, presenting a rainbow of hues from orange to blue along the horizon.  The cotton-ball clouds nestle themselves among snow-covered peaks.  By now, we’re probably flying over the south of France.  The fresh, cold appearance of those clouds below is such an extreme contrast to the days of dry, warm Tunisia. 

Without any contact, without using the Internet, having lived solely among Arabic-French speaking Tunisians for six days, it seems I’m reentering the modern world.  I don’t know if I want to, but that’s the way life goes. 

From the seat pocket in front of me, I remove the airline magazine and peruse the articles on the small gem of North Africa that is Tunisia.  I read about the fourth most holy city (behind Mecca, Medina, and Jerusalem), the new capitol of the world of Islam, Kairouan.  After having spent the last four nights under the great care of one of her families, it was so strange to read a formal article, from a tourist perspective.  I intended on wandering the streets of that old holy city, visiting her great mosque, and staying there for just one night.  It is easy to say that the meetings and events that took place there changed my life, but it’s important to remember that with each moment, we can be changing ourselves.  ... ... ...   
IMG_1927
So there I was in Kairoaun, Tunisia.  After a divine season of learning as much as I could about Islam, here was the perfect opportunity for me to connect with others, to know Allah, through prayer in a mosque.  The ride in the shared taxi (louage) lasted just under an hour.  I arrived to the hotel, recommended by a fellow traveler, before ten in the morning.  Just as Eugene described, the rooms were set around a gorgeous courtyard.  The man at reception gave a warm welcome, offering the choice between two rooms.  After settling in, I headed back down to settle up.  I inquired about prayer time at the mosque, and we talked about Islam.  The man at the desk congratulated me for having accepted this religion of truth, this beautiful way of life, and advised me on the appropriate time to get to the mosque.  It was still mid-morning, and I felt like stepping out to see the city and grab a bite to eat. 
 IMG_1928
I passed by a few small restaurants, not having any idea of where I was going or what foods would be found.  Across the street, a young stranger greeted me in French.  I greeted him in Arabic and continued down the road.  Turning around a corner, we met again and he accompanied me as I glanced at a restaurant’s sidewalk counter.  He asked me what I wanted.  This food was unfamiliar, so I told him I’d eat anything without animals.  Seconds later, an egg and vegetable chapati sandwich was made for me, though I forgot to emphasize “no tuna”.  As Nadhim sat across the table from me, I happily ate.  I wanted so badly to share with him, but he refused.

After lunch Nadhim suggested we pass by the house, and then he’d show me around.   I met his cousin, Sana, a trained English teacher who is currently employed at a factory.  She and an aunt welcomed me to the kitchen where we chatted about Kairouaun and the Great Mosque.  As I was too full to eat it, Sana insisted I take a packet of yogurt with me as Nadhim and I were leaving to stroll around town.  We walked north to see the huge, round Aghlabid Pools and made our way through the narrow streets of the city.  
IMG_1921 
Among the many interesting sights of Kairouan, we stopped by to see a camel who walks a circle around a well to provide spring water for the drinking.  Rounding back to the hotel, Nadhim dropped me off and promised to return to take me to the Friday Prayer. 
the water camel
I had thirty minutes to get ready, and the shower in my room was abnormal.  The water wouldn’t come out, so I tried the adjacent sink.  It took a minute, but water finally began to flow.   I rushed to turn on the shower and it worked… for mere seconds.  I left it on and further loosened the sink’s knob.  I went back and forth from the showerhead to the sink, trying to suds up, trying to rinse off, as the water dripped, stopped, and flowed alternately and simultaneously from the showerhead and the sink’s faucet.  Where was my camel to get the water flowing?  This was a most ridiculous bathing experience, and it was cracking me up. 

Finally, I was rinsed and ready to dress.  My clothes from the backpack weren’t exactly the finest, but they would do.  Pink pants, flowing floral purple long sleeves, and sandals.  Time to try the hijab.  It was my first time wearing one, and I wrapped it the best I could.  I dashed outside to find Nadhim waiting for me.  As we walked toward the house for Sana, I tried to explain the feeling of having happy butterflies in my stomach.  First day in hijab, first time to pray in the mosque.  Off we went… 

No comments:

Post a Comment