21 February 2010

It's coming soon...

THIS MORNING, as I emerged from the folded blankets that serve as my bed, I wasn’t cold. Sunbeams through the windows, and I opened the glass. The air wasn’t freezing. That dark, nasty, beautiful cloud that is winter… is going away. We had our times, and they were good: layering and bundling up for walks on those bitter, wind chilled mornings; day after day of overcast skies accompanied by warming coffee and sitting and drawing and reading. Snow flurries and hot chocolate, those were good times. All day, something familiar has been creeping in. My hands didn’t go numb as I hung the laundry out to dry. As the afternoon rolled on, I found myself waking up to absolute paradise. Others found the birds annoying, I found them delightful. There we were, outside for hours, walking to and fro, around and across the open fields bordered by trees and bland buildings of glass and concrete. There we were: throwing… discs! The clouds had parted, the sky was blue all day as sunbeams shone upon us and a chorus of perfect, angelic voices sang, Alleluia, reshaping my entire being into a Smile. A smile brought on, not by common niceties, but by happiness. Sometimes I wish my mood, my sense of euphoria, wasn’t directly proportional to what I perceive as being ideal weather. But I do embrace the dark moods of winter, and when the lightness and warmth of summer returns, I appreciate it that much more. 

So hear ye, those in harsher climates: it’s coming soon. The higher levels of energy, longer stretches of sunlight, blue skies, loquacious birds and wildlife… they’re right around the corner. I saw branches of plants budding like crazy. I touched beloved dandelions. Sure, we’ll have another cold spell or two, but today’s preview wanted me to tell you that it’s gonna be as awesome as it ever was. I just came down from the rooftop. Bright stars surrounded the half moon, and retrieving the laundry didn’t require gloves. The best part… my clothes smell like the beautiful, awakening Outdoors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment